Move over flowers, Candy and Cards, there is a new Mother's Day fave on the block! (Well Kinda. Sorta). Truth is, we have been witnessing an evolution in terms of what moms want on special days. Indeed just last year when JamaicanMommies appeared on Smile Jamaica morning time programme, we spoke at length about the things moms would truly love for Mothers' Day. As it turned out then, most of the things moms would truly love weren't things after all.
This year to put things into perspective and to hear the 'word on the street' we asked several moms across varied online parenting platforms a simple question, What would you truly appreciate this Mothers' Day?
The responses by and large leaned towards time, support and bits of pampering, Our mums noted:
1. M. Harris "I would certainly welcome a body massage from head to toe"
2. C Christie "I would love some sleep. and yes a full body massage. Throw in a mani n pedi . Ohhhhhh and chocolate"
3. TGreen Yeah I'd like a few days alone to sleep and sort whatever I can in my life and in my head
4. F Mair Some me time would be great!! No kids, just me *sigh*
5. M Johnson I would appreciate all the household chores done without one question or suggestion be requested of me. I would love some serenity without feeling guilty. Ice cream and complete relaxation. Hopefully mental relaxation too.
6. A Bailey I would like some me time
7. M Solomon Well I'd like a pair of Prada shades and some Jessica Simpson pumps if you want the things list, but generally, I would like for someone else to cook, wash and comb the hair and do the homework. I will still do the bedtime story
8. H Argueta A picnic in an open field.
9. N Bryan I want to be able to go to bed early without my stepson needing to sleep on my chest.lol I can keep wishing it ain't gonna happen.
10. K Blake To be left alone. It would be such a comfort to not hear the squabbling and mommy every minute.
11. A Wilson I would love to go to the movies alone..... Just a personal joy I miss.
12. D Pinnock I would love an AC'd room with a super comfy couch/bed and HGTV, all my meals would be prepared and brought to me too and no interruptions
13. S Coombs ooh I would love to fall asleep on the beach too as long as someone is awake watching my back #BestSleepsUnderTheTree at Fort Clarence
14. R McKoy I could lay in the bed watching HGTV allll day no "mommy come play with me" "cooooome mommy". Food brought to me, nap here and there.....but the weirdest part of it all is I want to hear her playing and giggling in the background.
15. NZee Peace quiet and no interruptions even for 2 hours . I just need an early night in and a late morning out
16. RWhyte Sleep sounds very good. I would love a day just to do that!
17. H Thompson I would love to Sleep late; Eat a meal I did not cook...Get a foot massage and just relax
18. I Blythe nuff (Lots of) pampering! breakfast in bed and the works lol.
19. P Williams I want to sleep late, very late, get breakfast in bed when I'm ready. My favourite breakfast: ackee n saltfish with fried dumplings etc. hot chocolate, then I want to go to the river and sleep under a tree or hut or something like that. Then I want to watch a movie with my kids. That'll do me
20. D Savory 2-3 hours undisturbed!
Out of curiosity Jamaican Mommies enquired why so many mums are focusing on special moments, rest and relaxation versus a list of things and two of the mums put it best when L Deslandes noted "It looks like we all want the same thing!" and NBryan summarized "We moms are on duty 24/7 that's why we don't need things just alone time.our little ones are already everything we need and more" << seriouss awwwww moment here.
So there you have it, Mommies do you agree? Daddies, Thank us for the direct insights later.
Of course with all the focus on the special moments and relaxation this Mother's Day, it still doesn't hurt to gift all those hardworking mommies this year. Additional tips can be found via What moms really want this Mothers' Day and be sure to match gifts to hobbies, passion or interests. Amazon also has some great Mothers' Day specials going so be sure to check those out!!
Did we miss anything? What would you truly love this Mothers Day?!